Racing-Reference.info Forums  

Go Back   Racing-Reference.info Forums > People > Drivers

Drivers Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) drivers here.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
T-27

Default Jimmie Johnson

I'm surprised that there is no JJ-thread yet, so, well, here it is.

He has just achieved his 48th career victory and might catch up with Lee Petty and Rusty Wallace on the all-time victory list as early as this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he won his 5th championship either.

His stats are very impressive, but still I never had the feeling he really is the best of the whole bunch. Don't get me wrong, you don't win 4 consecutive championships if you can't drive, but I've always felt there was someone who actually was better (Kenseth, Gordon, Edwards, Stewart).

Anyway, I know I'll have some support on this, but Jimmie probably has some fans too who will disagree. So let me hear ya!
T-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
71Fan

Default Re: Jimmie Johnson

Jimmie CAN drive. No doubt about that.

Unfortunately for Jeff, he wasn't supposed to be quite as good as he is. His role (I'm guessing here) was to help Jeff win another trophy. Instead, he's shown the world what a good driver with a top team, and a genius for a crew chief can do. With that said I would rank him in the lower top ten of current drivers talent wise.
71Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Smokefan05

A 6th-10th place driver in a 1st-10th place car. And with crew chief known for cheating (sorry it'll never go away) it was a perfect storm for him but his rein will soon end. And i for one will be glad when it does.

Most purist will say he has 2 Cups. Well to me he does 08-09. 06-07 doesn't count because they got caught for cheating (in my mind). If i had my way by the 3rd offense Chad Knaus would on the couch crying because i'd tell him "banned for life."

BTW WIN A FREAKING ROAD COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
71Fan

Roadies are certainly a test. Bummer is that they are too dang thin for stockers, and with the homogeneous cars they've become a follow the leader thing.
71Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Smokefan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Fan View Post
Roadies are certainly a test. Bummer is that they are too dang thin for stockers, and with the homogeneous cars they've become a follow the leader thing.
Concerding that Robby Gordon has the same background as JJ does, yet Robby has 2 road course wins and JJ doesn't. That is glaring too me, and it makes him "overrated as a '4-time' champ."
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Candraco
2011 RR Fantasy Cup Champ

johnson got a road course win gift wrapped and handed to him on a silver platter earlier this year at infineon...
Candraco is offline   Reply With Quote