Racing-Reference.info Forums  

Go Back   Racing-Reference.info Forums > Non-NASCAR Racing > IndyCar Series

IndyCar Series Discussions pertaining to the IndyCar Series.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
ShakeNbake

Default George out as CEO

This was his baby and his league. They have yet to earn a profit in nearly 15 years, now without the financial support of Indianapolis Motor Speedway they have to find a way to make it would on their own. I personally think they are going to flop within 3 years.

Where do you see Open Wheel racing in America heading? Will there be in IRL in 5 years? If not how will they keep the tradition of the Indianapolis 500 running?
ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
ab1
The Boss

Default Re: George out as CEO

If there's no open-wheel series in the U.S. at some point, invite the F1 teams to the Indy 500. Just a thought.....

Assuming the F1 doesn't disintegrate entirely due to its upcoming split (a la CART/IRL) it might not be such a bad idea to see if they can gain a foothold in the U.S.
ab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Smokefan05

IRL is safe for now.........
TG screwed the whole thing when he created IRL. So what ever happens, happens i guess.
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
ShakeNbake

What do you mean by safe for now? I agree this season they are safe, but I guarentee unless they find a huge sponser for the series soon you're going to see effects starting right away in 2010.

If someone can't get up a successful Open Wheel series in the US then I can see the Indianapolis 500 becoming a 1 time a year event with no real Championship season.
ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Smokefan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeNbake View Post
What do you mean by safe for now? I agree this season they are safe, but I guarentee unless they find a huge sponser for the series soon you're going to see effects starting right away in 2010.

If someone can't get up a successful Open Wheel series in the US then I can see the Indianapolis 500 becoming a 1 time a year event with no real Championship season.
I meant for one season (sorry for not clarifying).
But i agree, no sponser equals no series.
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Bryan Blanton

I don't think things sound too good for this series although with danica in the series that might mean the series will be safe for awhile.

I just can't with the current climate and economy situation see a company wanting to sponsor this series though although they do have 2 big name drivers now although marco has a famous last name so i guess there would be 3 big name drivers in the series. But i can't see a company wanting to step up and sponsor this series. I thought back in the early 2000's a company was going to sponsor the series named northern light or lights whatever happened to that?

I know pep boys was supposed to sponsor them at 1 time but i heard they either didn't get any money from them or very little?

It would be sad to see this series shutdown i wonder what would happen though if it did maybe you'd see indycars just for the 500 or possibly the 500 could become a nascar race?

Or maybe the 500 would become a race like the 24 hours of lemans? Where most of the big names in sportscar just show up for that race and that's it.

And they have no series or champioship just the 1 race.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. But i hope the irl series continues to exist.
Bryan Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote