Racing-Reference.info Forums  

Go Back   Racing-Reference.info Forums > NASCAR Racing > Nationwide Series

Nationwide Series Discussions pertaining to the NASCAR Nationwide Series.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Talon64
Stat Freak

Default Re: 2009 rookie class

I'm going with Allgaier, not only because he's an actual rookie so I'd much prefer him to win but because I think he's outperformed Gaughan for most of the season, Allgaier's run top 10 most of the season while Gaughan faultered a bit after his good start. They've both been top five in points this season, Allgaier more recently than Gaughan.
Indycar: 3, 11, 6, 02, 4, 10, RHR, and get Paul Tracy a fulltime ride!
Talon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
kwillymac

I like Allgaier to win Rookie of the year. He has better equipment then Gaughan. Also he is showing better if he stays out of wrecks.

As far as the Logano conversation, HUH?! People you need to give this guy a chance. He is steadily improving. Earning the respect of the other drivers. He is 19 years old. He will be fine. Hell Jeff Gordon didn't win a race his first year. Tony Stewart is one of the best drivers in the world and he won one race last year. It happens. The more experience Logano gets the better he gets. Interesting to see the second half of the year. When he gets to see the tracks twice it will be interesting.
It is arguably one of the most difficult years to be a rookie. COT is a different animal. Plus no testing this year doesn't help...just ask Jr. And I am a fan of Jr's...tough year.
kwillymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
Talon64
Stat Freak

Allgaier finished 13th at Nashville while Brendan Gaughan finished 24th after he made contact with Marc Davis on pit road (and was really pissed about it too!).

But because of the way the rookie points work out that only equates to an extra point gained over Gaughan so now Allgaier has a one point lead in the rookie standings.

McDowell made up a lot of ground with his 8th place finish to move within 5 of the rookie points lead.

Erik Darnell also had a top 10 finish, making for 1 top five and 2 top tens in just 3 starts this season which puts him ahead of 4 other rookies with more starts this season.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
WillG_75

I think that it's going to be a battle down to the wire between Allgaier and Gaughan. Allgaier is in great equipment, but doesn't have much experience on larger tracks, while Gaughan is in decent equipment with a lot of experience on larger tracks.

I was hoping for better results from Michael Annett, they just haven't done that well.

I am a pretty big supporter of Lagasse, but I just don't think that he has what it takes to be a driver that will last for a long time.

Michael McDowell has been good, about on par with the type of equipment that he has.

John Wes Townley on the other hand is riding on his daddy's money. I honestly don't think he has a bit of talent, but he has money and that's what matters these days.

Hopefully Erik Darnell runs only 7 races this year so he can be eligible for ROTY in 2010. It's almost a given that he would win.

Also, the Joey Logano "conversation" was great lol. Bash the kid for being young and inexperienced
Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #25
Talon64
Stat Freak

If the rookie standings stay as close as they are between Allgaier and Gaughan (one point lead for Gaughan after both had top fives at Kentucky), then Allgaier will win out in the end even if it's Gaughan who scores more points.

Back in 2006 John Andretti lost the ROTY to Danny O'Quinn Jr. all because the end-of-season panel awarded O'Quinn more points. They rate the drivers on their off-track behaviour concerning their fellow competitors, sponsors, fans, race officials and a bunch of other crap. But I doubt there are many drivers who are as nice and good-natured as John Andretti so it's pretty clear that the panel swung things in favour of O'Quinn so a 2 time Cup winner with over 300 career Cup starts wouldn't win Nationwide ROTY, two wrongs making a right.

I hope Allgaier can win out with on-track results so it doesn't come down to a repeat of that this year.

McDowell is up there too, and he ran 20 Cup races last year so he's closer to the case of Carl Edwards in 2004 who ran 13 Cup races and then won ROTY in Nationwide the next season, still not right but easier to live with.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
ShakeNbake

I don't think McDowell will be a contender. He is slowly fading into where he should be, and I think the team is due to lose sponsership her shortly.
ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote