Racing-Reference.info Forums  

Go Back   Racing-Reference.info Forums > People > Drivers

Drivers Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) drivers here.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
ShakeNbake

Default Re: Jeff Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillymac View Post
Right! and...

Name me a top driver that didn't have great equipment. That is always part of what makes them great. Every one of them. (Maybe Kulwicki)
Kulwicki, Richmond, how about Dale Earnhardt? Yeah, Earnhardt. For some reason you think I think he had no talent or something, no I just believe it was a perfect storm that allowed him to win 7 championships. Well he wouldn't have needed that perfect storm if he was in equipment that was as good as Hendrick's had been from the mid 90s on. Dale's equipment wasn't always the best in the sport. I don't know if it ever was the best at any given time. Bobby Labonte, Dale Jarrett, Tony Stewart, Alan Kulwicki all won championships on teams that weren't the supreme team in the garage. Kulwicki beat Elliott and Allison who both had better teams and cars, Labonte, Jarrett and Stewart had to beat DEI at their best, Hendrick and Roush.
ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
kwillymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeNbake View Post
Kulwicki, Richmond, how about Dale Earnhardt? Yeah, Earnhardt. For some reason you think I think he had no talent or something, no I just believe it was a perfect storm that allowed him to win 7 championships. Well he wouldn't have needed that perfect storm if he was in equipment that was as good as Hendrick's had been from the mid 90s on. Dale's equipment wasn't always the best in the sport. I don't know if it ever was the best at any given time. Bobby Labonte, Dale Jarrett, Tony Stewart, Alan Kulwicki all won championships on teams that weren't the supreme team in the garage. Kulwicki beat Elliott and Allison who both had better teams and cars, Labonte, Jarrett and Stewart had to beat DEI at their best, Hendrick and Roush.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. That is all.

Richmond was in Hendrick equipment that by the way was pretty good in the 80's. Earnhardt...correct! Glad to see you pick up on that. Kulwicki...right!

Labonte...well Gibbs wasn't that bad then Tony Stewart came right in and did great. Labonte won 21 races in that equipment along with what Stewart did. Definitely one of the top teams. Jarrett...Yates wasn't as bad as now. When Ricky Rudd took over the 28 car IN 2000 both cars ran good. I wouldn't say the equipment was bad.

Beating DEI at there best? Oh boy. DEI was never powerful. They had Jr. and who? Maybe restrictor Plate racing. Park was ok until the accident. Never anyone else since. Maybe Truex one year.

By the way, Imagine how many wins and Championships Earnhardt could have had with great equipment? YIKES!

Peace.

Last edited by kwillymac; 07-01-2009 at 04:16 PM.
kwillymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
ShakeNbake

Richmond was with hendrick before they became they power they are now. No one said Gibbs and Yates were a bad team they just weren't the premier team that Roush, Hendrick and DEI were. When talking about DEI it is all Dale Junior he was the only legit driver they've ever had. Either way his engines were far superior than the guy who beat him for Championships in 2002.

Yes, lets just leave this as a disagreement and be done.
ShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Smokefan05

I used to hate Jeff but those days are over. I have ALOT of respect for him now. He is more dow to earth and but still has the 90's Jeff Gordon that comes out once in a while. (Which is always a good thing)
I think his back will cut his carrer short. he is too damn young to have those problems. But wether he deals with it or retires because of his back he is in the NASCAR hall of fame.
And he should get MPD (Most Popular Driver) before he retires. Cuz Jr. is no longer worthy of that title.
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
71Fan

No doubt at all that Jeff can drive.
71Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
T-27

One of my favourite drivers. Absolute legend and the face of post-Earnhardt NASCAR

Last edited by T-27; 02-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.
T-27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
Candraco
2011 RR Fantasy Cup Champ

funny that this thread is the most popular driver....

anyways i thought he would be on pace to get to pearsons win record but now i dont think its going to happen...
Candraco is offline   Reply With Quote