Racing-Reference.info Forums  

Go Back   Racing-Reference.info Forums > People > Drivers

Drivers Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) drivers here.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Smokefan05

Default Robby Gordon

Yeah who likes Robby? I do. I really respect what he is doing in NASCAR. All by himself and holding his own. Keeping sponsers and NOT starting and parking. Is he a cry baby? I put Kyle Busch ahead of Robby. From my point of view, Robby can do what he wants when he wants. I do not care.
His resume:
6 SCORE International championships (1986-90, 1996)
3 time Baja 1000 winner
3 Dakar Rally stage victories
3 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series wins
1 NASCAR Sprint Cup Gatorade 125 Win
1 NASCAR Nationwide Series win (Richmond '04)
2 CART wins (Phoenix and Detroit '95)
2 Central Europe Rally Special wins
Won Baja 500 4 times.
Mostly off-road but some oval success. His best times were at RCR but done very well for himself in NASCAR. And one of the very few OW guys to have a decent go at NASCAR.
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
John Royal

Default Re: Robby Gordon

I like Robby a lot! He might sound like cry baby but he is just racer from all his heart and says what comes to his mind. Trying to run his own shop and does great job at it in modern days NASCAR, but I would so much to see him in competive car. He should start aquire stuff from Hendrick or MWR that would improve his results, like what Marcos Ambrose's team did.

What he does in Dakar is impressive, he is competive against international car makers (Mitsubishi, VW) with his Hummer. He might have finished higher and win some stages in 2009 Dakar if not some trademark personal mishaps
John Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Talon64
Stat Freak

I like Robby and I hate to be negative but out of his 15 career top fives in 320career starts only 6 of them have come at oval tracks. One was his first career win at New Hampshire in 2001 driving a partial schedule for RCR (the last driver to win a race driving a partial schedule before Keselowski this year at Talledega), but his 3rd at Charlotte this season was his first oval top five since Talledega in 2004.

He's leading the SCORE trophy truck standings after the first 3 races with two wins, including his 4th overall win in the Baja 500 this past weekend, and a 2nd place finish. I don't know what the schedule is for the series but I hope it works out well enough around Cup that he can run enough of the races to get the championship.
Indycar: 3, 11, 6, 02, 4, 10, RHR, and get Paul Tracy a fulltime ride!
Talon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
BoobieJohnson

^^ I like Robby too. Seems to me like he races Cup because thats where he wants to be. Like a hobby, too me that's great. Robby is one of the only drivers I support by buying merch from his website. But I do it differently

After his ordeal in Canada, which I bet if you ask him today he will still tell you he won that race. Like he said "he completed the most laps before everyone else"(para phrasing) I bought a hat and Tee after that. I also order bumper stickers for my tool box every time he gets caught trying to bend the rules as well.. I just ordered 2 more bumper sticker..LOL
BoobieJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Kirkyal

There is no doubting Robbie's talent! I like the guy! Not always successful in NASCAR but a great owner driver and off-road racer!

Nowhere near Kyle Busch when it comes to moaning! When Robbie moans he usually has a legitimate point (although possibly exclude Montreal 07 from that!)
Kirkyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
kwillymac

Robby Gordon is a tremendous talent that never had good equipment. Even when he drove for RCR, the teams were struggling.
kwillymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
Smokefan05

Robby will only race 8-10 races next year do to sponser ship. If you read Jayski Robby isn't happy. I would place most of the blame on Jim Beam.
Smokefan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Kit

He's an underachieving waste of talent.

"Even when he drove for RCR, the teams were struggling."

If he stuck with RCR he would have won a lot more and been in a championship hunt. RCR isn't that bad.
Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
71Fan

Given the right equipment, I have no doubt that Robby could win his fair share of Cup races
71Fan is offline   Reply With Quote