Blog entries from November 2011:|
- "Final Old vs. New Points: So What Have We Learned?" posted by Riverside on November 30, 2011 (7 comments)
(DISCLAIMER: This is an approximation, and may not be completely accurate).
So what have we learned? Well actual not much.
What the new points system seems to have done is just simplified and overcomplicated and outdated system, which can interpreted mcuh more easily. It has also made everything a lot more closer. And while it kept .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Another Busch, Another Problem" posted by Nick DeGroot on November 26, 2011 (19 comments)
Kurt Busch and especially Kyle have a tremondous amount of talent behind the wheel of a racecar but their actions are speaking louder to us than their driving. Yes, Kurt won the 2004 championship and Kyle has incrediable car control, but that isn't all there is to being a great driver. Did you see Tony rip his way through the pack last Sunday? Did you .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Grandstand Finish" posted by Riverside on November 25, 2011 (6 comments)
What the F1 and IndyCar couldn't give us, NASCAR did. In great fashion.
It isn't the best finish to a championship this year (I'll be blogging about that soon), but it was what the fans asked for, and the many how stayed late into to the night (especially in Britain) were treated to a exciting finale. But I can't help wondering.
Had .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Rainbows All Over Your Blues 400" posted by The Vicar on November 22, 2011 (8 comments)
Another benchmark race is in the can.
There haven't been that many in the history of Nascar. You don't even have to take your socks off to count them. The last was maybe nineteen years ago. That keeps them special when they do happen to come along. I know, in the short-sighted corporate sort of way, Nascar's goal is to have it like that every .... Read the rest of this blog
- "This Is Not The New 1992, Plus The Final 2011 Trip Preview" posted by ajcrdstr24 on November 21, 2011 (2 comments)
What Stewart has accomplished in turning around the former Haas CNC Racing team in such a short time is remarkable, but it still does not even compare to what Alan Kulwicki accomplished in 1992. Stewart has aligned himself with some phenomenal partners since day one, and it is obvious that some of the support came from those around him in these concluding .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Final Predictor Standings" posted by G14 on November 21, 2011 (27 comments)
Congrats to Joey on being the 2011 Predictor Cup champion! You become the second champ this league has ever had, joining Josh C from the previous year. I will be in contact with you this morning to arrange for your year end prize.
Thanks to everyone who participated this year. On average, there was roughly 30 or so people who played each .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Trouble Is a Form of Attention" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on November 19, 2011 (3 comments)
It was on July 4, 1984 that Ronald Reagan became the first sitting president to attend a stock car race. It's not uncommon for sitting presidents to attend sporting events. Usually these events are limited to baseball, football, or basketball. Racing remains an oddity. That is not to say there has not been a president attending a race since Reagan; .... Read the rest of this blog
- "NASCAR's Social Media Madness" posted by NASCARgirl01 on November 17, 2011 (1 comment)
If someone wrote on your Facebook page or said something to you on Twitter about how they hated the way you handled a situation and that you are terrible at your job, how would you handle that? Regardless of if they have a right to be angry, most of us would probably spout something mean back or, depending on how well we know them, delete them off .... Read the rest of this blog
- "NASCAR 2011 free agent wading pool" posted by Talon64 on November 17, 2011 (1 comment)
Carl Edwards, Clint Bowyer, Greg Biffle, Jeff Burton, Juan Pablo Montoya, Mark Martin: That's a great list of possible free agents for teams to sign for 2012.
The problem? They've now all been taken, either moving to new teams or staying put for 2012 and beyond.
This just leaves us with the scraps, mid-pack drivers with varying degrees .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Ko-Konspirators 500K" posted by The Vicar on November 15, 2011 (3 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
So Nascar is still trying to manipulate the point system to reward winning. 60-some years later, we're at square one. Maybe that's just how racing is supposed to be. Just take the rules as they are and try to come out on top.
And now there's all this chatter from some pundits about how great the new .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after PHOENIX" posted by Riverside on November 15, 2011 (0 comments)
Sprint Cup and Nationwide updated.
So, if it were old style points, STEWART would have the upper hand and EDWARDS would be the chaser into the final race. KESELOWSKI is mathematically eliminated by only four points. (He is 199 points behind first place.)
EDWARDS has already wrapped up the Nationwide. He has been unstoppable, so it .... Read the rest of this blog
- "A Battle For The Ages" posted by Riverside on November 15, 2011 (2 comments)
So, you wanted an exciting finished did you? You didn't want to see Jimmie Johnson to win his 6th championship, did you? Well, you got both those wishes, and at Homestead, Carl Edwards or Tony Stewart are about to do battle at Homestead.
Personally, I don't like Homestead. Never have done, never will, however, it will no doubt be a great final .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Sizzlers & Fizzlers following the Kobalt Tools 500" posted by Mik Maq racer83 on November 15, 2011 (0 comments)
1.Kasey Kahne - Big day for ol Blue eyes. Not only did he find his way back to victory lane after a two year absence, he scored what will probably Red Bull Racing's last NASCAR victory. Oh did, I mention He's been the most consistent driver in the past 3 months, just saying !
2.Jeff Burton - The mayor is building momentum .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Phoenix" posted by G14 on November 15, 2011 (1 comment)
1. Joey2448 - 356 (6)
2. Kevin17fan - 349 (5)
3. T-27 - 338 (4)
4. JGF - 330 (4)
5. Bon Gordon - 322 (2)
6. Awesomegordonfan - 309 (4)
7. Brad - 307 (5)
8. I Seize the Day - 296 (1)
9. Zedfan - 289 (1)
10. Sheamus - 285 (2)
11. G14 - 278 (1)
12. ii - 266 (2)
13. .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predicitions - Homestead" posted by G14 on November 15, 2011 (34 comments)
Sorry it's taking me a minute to get this weeks blogs up. The standings should be up later this afternoon.
Carl Edwards - winner
Greg Biffle .... Read the rest of this blog
- "For Kyle Busch, When Will Enough Finally Be Enough?" posted by SK on November 11, 2011 (1 comment)
Two months ago, I had 2011 pegged as Kyle Busch's year. With no contender overtly stronger than any other, Busch appeared to possess the most potent blend of horsepower, daring and consistency in the series. And who could argue against his talent? The dalliances in the Nationwide and Truck series that make him something of a shark in a small pond have .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after TEXAS 2" posted by Riverside on November 11, 2011 (0 comments)
All three series updated.
So no-one has been mathematically eliminated from the Chase, it seems that it's only STEWART and EDWARDS going for it, but do not rule out anyone from 3rd to 6th.
In the Nationwide, it's pretty much EDWARDS championship to lose, although he proabably wont.
In the Truck Series, it's DILLON vs. SAUTER .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top Guns 500" posted by The Vicar on November 9, 2011 (2 comments)
Another good race is in the can.
It started off on the right foot - the famous 4 words were actually just 4 words for maybe the first time this year - and kept on going. Thanks AAA.
And, not surprisingly, Charlotte was finally dethroned as this year-s fastest track (qualifying-wise).
What is quite curious, however, is that, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "NASCAR: First Cup wins before first NNS wins" posted by Talon64 on November 9, 2011 (4 comments)
Trevor Bayne made history when he became the youngest driver to win the Daytona 500 back in February, driving for the legendary Wood Brothers. But his first career Nationwide win at Texas Motor Speedway last Saturday also puts him in some very select company.
19 drivers have won in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series before they won in Nationwide .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Texas" posted by G14 on November 7, 2011 (4 comments)
Sorry for the delay in getting the standings posted. Point leader Joey correctly predicted each of the top 5, the first time that has happened all year. However, he didn't get any of the 6-10 drivers correct, and as a result only stretched his lead by one point over Kevin.
The most points you can score in a race is 30. With two races left, .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predicitons - Phoenix" posted by G14 on November 7, 2011 (28 comments)
Brad Keselowski - winner
Clint Bowyer .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Why We Fight" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on November 6, 2011 (0 comments)
What I witnessed on October 16 can best be described as 11 laps of sheer excitement followed by an hour of "I'm going to throw up." I recall seeing yellow tarps over cars on the backstretch, usually an indication that a car is being preserved for investigation due to driver fatality. And then ESPN began its broad range of speculation while advising .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after MARTINSVILLE 2" posted by Riverside on November 2, 2011 (0 comments)
Sprint Cup and Trucks updated.
Top 3 are still close going into the last 3 races. STEWART is breathing down EDWARDS neck, though don't count out KESELOWSKI or HARVICK.
In the trucks, HORNADAY JR is now only 19 points behind DILLON, a miraculous comeback. Mathematically speaking, WHITT can still win, but realistically it's four horse .... Read the rest of this blog
- "F1: Felipe Massa and his place in Ferrari futility history" posted by Talon64 on November 2, 2011 (1 comment)
Almost 3 years removed from missing out on the F1 world championship by just 1 turn, things couldn't have taken a worse turn for Scuderia Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.
In his first 3 seasons at Ferrari, from 2006 to 2008, Massa's 11 wins ranked 2nd only to Fernando Alonso. After being mentored by Michael Schumacher in Schumi's (supposedly) final .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Back On Track Again" posted by Riverside on November 2, 2011 (1 comment)
After some of the darkest days in recent motorsport history, we've said our goodbyes, we've paid our tributes and we're back on track.
The Indian Grand Prix. For all the hype generated by F1 to get us to this country I'm left with one thought: Great track, boring race. It's getting to that point this season where I couldn't care less about .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Not Enough Tums 500" posted by The Vicar on November 1, 2011 (2 comments)
Another great race is in the can.
Aah. How comforting to be back to real racing (pink curbs notwithstanding - nice touch). It had it all. Great drivers acting average and average drivers showing signs of greatness. Finesse and bullying. Courtesy and spite. Hopes kept alive and more dashed.
Was that the ghost of Earnhardt in the 17? .... Read the rest of this blog