Blog entries from July 2011:|
- "In the Year 2000" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on July 28, 2011 (8 comments)
About ten years ago a pamphlet that NASCAR had printed during the 2000 season examining the then-current state of the Winston Cup Series, and what it would be like in the future, came into my possession. I would like to compare the predicted future to the actual future.
"I see a future where seats have small televisions that give fans their .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Good Times With NASCAR And Local Short Track Stars" posted by ajcrdstr24 on July 27, 2011 (0 comments)
So far July has been jam packed with nice weather and side by side racing. Following the Independence Day weekend, I set out North to Tioga Center, New York where the half mile Shangri-La II Motor Speedway is located. The one word to describe this track is "unique." It is one of the few short tracks with a concrete surface, and one of the very few .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Best Brickyard 400s" posted by StreetDreamer83 on July 27, 2011 (5 comments)
Due to having to move, I missed doing a top 10 for the more established of the two races at New Hampshire two weeks ago. This weekend, NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series visits the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway for their 18th race at the famed 2.5 mile track. In all honesty, I'm not expecting much in the way of a good race this weekend and I think most .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Museum Time" posted by The Vicar on July 25, 2011 (3 comments)
Another leisure day is in the can.
First, I have to give credit to racing-reference member 'ajcrdstr24' for setting the record straight on my previous reference to Sterling Marlin's Cup debut. He did indeed make his first appearance 9 days earlier. Hey. I only know what I read in the papers. (Or in this case what the narrative in Greg Fielden's .... Read the rest of this blog
- "DIRECTV's NASCAR Head 2 Head Knock Out contest" posted by webmaster on July 25, 2011 (6 comments)
This blog post is sponsored by DIRECTV
Win up to $1,000,000 or a new truck with DIRECTV's NASCAR Head 2 Head Knock Out!
NASCAR is rolling out a new and unique fantasy game. 32 of the top drivers will be selected and seeded in a tournament style head to head single elimination bracket (think March Madness). .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after NEW HAMPSHIRE/NASHVILLE" posted by Riverside on July 25, 2011 (0 comments)
All three series updated.
EDWARDS now leads bot series again, and well on his way to making theoretical history.
Trucks are still close, but now KYLE BUSCH has had his week off, he hands the lead over to SAUTER.
Pos - Driver - Points - Actual
1 - EDWARDS - 2692 - 1st
2 - KYLE BUSCH - 2663 - 5th
3 .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Indy" posted by G14 on July 22, 2011 (45 comments)
Posting a little early this week as I won't be around a computer for the next week.
Winner - David Reutimann
Jeff Gordon .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Are Seattle Seahawks Athletes?" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on July 21, 2011 (1 comment)
Golden Tate recently Twitted that Jimmie Johnson should not be eligible for Male Athlete of the Year on the grounds that driving a racecar is not athletic. You may know Golden Tate as a wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks, and before that he played college football and baseball at Notre Dame. You may also know him for breaking into a doughnut shop .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Newman/Haas Rides Again" posted by The Vicar on July 18, 2011 (2 comments)
Another race is in the can.
Not bad for New Hampshire. There have certainly been worse - like every other one?
Somehow, somewhere some PR person named it the 'Magic Mile'. I believe he meant the 'Smoke and Mirrors Mile'.
To its credit, NHMS showed that it still can attract a great crowd.Therein lies the dilemma. How does Nascar .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Loudon" posted by G14 on July 18, 2011 (16 comments)
Pretty stable week at New Hampshire. No big gainers or losers. High score this week was 12 - Blake and forman400b both were able to reach that total, which is pretty high considering they didn .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Up in Smoke?" posted by Ol Don on July 16, 2011 (0 comments)
Well, after a brief hiatus, The Racing Equation is back in time for New Hampshire! While I haven't been blogging about the predictive model that I use each week to forecast winners, I have been running it and keeping track of its success. To say the least, it has not gone well. In part because of the tracks that were on the recent schedule.
Sonoma .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after KENTUCKY" posted by Riverside on July 12, 2011 (3 comments)
All three series updated.
With the Chase just a couple of months away, the race for the chase is getting close, with anyone from about EARNHARDT JR to KAHNE/MENARD who could get into that important top 12 with some solid finishes. KESELOWSKI enters the top 20 this week.
In the Nationwide, EDWARDS 1 win deficit has been cut down to .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Crash Course" posted by Riverside on July 12, 2011 (0 comments)
Controversy reigns supreme in the world of motorsport this weekend.
Let?s start with Saturday?s NASCAR on Saturday. Many people did not get to see the race because of crazy traffic outside the Speedway. Did it ever occur to anyone that only 230 people live in Sparta, KY, and yet the Kentucky Speedway can hold 107,000 people? Do the math! Surely .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Kentucky Wonder" posted by The Vicar on July 11, 2011 (1 comment)
UNOH Who. (250/400)
Another good race is in the can. (Unless you were trying to get there.)
This could be Nascar?s new strategy to fill the stands ? have a new venue every week. I?ve read about all those fans who never made it to the event, but where were they going to sit?. No doubt Bruton will try to make it up to them, but that?s .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - New Hampshire" posted by G14 on July 11, 2011 (33 comments)
Kyle Busch - winner
Kurt Busch .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Kentucky" posted by G14 on July 11, 2011 (5 comments)
For the first time since Pocono, we have some winners. Awesome. There was about three of four of you that picked Kyle Busch to win. Congrats. With all that being said, the battle at the top is getting pretty exciting. Joey continues to lead, but we have new players such as Kevin17fan and Jeff Gordon fan.
1. Joey2448 ? 180 (4)
2. Brad .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Kentucky Speedway Will Get This Fixed." posted by drewh on July 11, 2011 (0 comments)
When I first started to think about what to write this week, the obvious thing seemed to be the huge traffic debacle at the Sprint Cup race in Kentucky this weekend. However, it also seems that I?m not the only one who thought that.
Apparently every columnist, news writer, and blogger out there had the same idea. You can?t turn on the computer .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Ranking The Last 10 Inaugural Cup Races" posted by StreetDreamer83 on July 6, 2011 (8 comments)
This weekend marks NASCAR's premiere series first visit to the Kentucky Speedway. Between 1988 through 2001, the Cup series visited 10 new venues; Phoenix, Sears Point, New Hampshire, Indianapolis, Texas, California, Las Vegas, Homestead, Chicagoland and Kansas. Since this will be the Cup series' first race at the 1.5-mile speedway, I figured it would .... Read the rest of this blog
- "The Art of Tire War" posted by Uptight Motorsports Nerd on July 5, 2011 (1 comment)
Whenever you mention tire wars to an older NASCAR fan, they?ll bring up something like this.
If you missed any of YouTube?s large font, that was Jeff Burton hitting a concrete wall hard after his right front tire blew during a tire war in 1994. I?ve taken the time to watch some races from .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Dial - A - Date 400" posted by The Vicar on July 5, 2011 (0 comments)
In the last 3 weeks we?ve gone from whine country to wine country back to whine country. There seems to be a lot of whining going around about tandem racing ? from inside and outside the car. I suppose once or twice a year might be OK, but we?re looking at 4 times a year. Of course, as long a the last few minutes of a race provide thrills, we?ll have .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Predictor Standings After Daytona II" posted by G14 on July 5, 2011 (1 comment)
NOTE: THIS WEEKS PREDICTIONS ALREADY LISTED IN PREVIOUS BLOG
David Ragan thanked a few people in Victory Lane Saturday night, but the one person he really needed to thank was awesomegordonfan. AGF was going with Ragan, but at the last minute, went with loyalty and picked his man Jeff Gordon to win. It would have put him right up in contention .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Old vs. New Points after DAYTONA 2" posted by Riverside on July 5, 2011 (0 comments)
So KYLE BUSCH takes the lead at the top of the table after EDWARDS extended stranglehold at the top. It's getting very close at the top, and in the midfield, and with nine races to go, it's going to be close.
EDWARDS is also slipping in the Nationwide as well, missing the Road America race cost him his 200 point lead. HILL enters the top 20.
SPRINT .... Read the rest of this blog
- "Top 10 Predictions - Kentucky" posted by G14 on July 5, 2011 (37 comments)
Busy day at work this week, so I will try to get the points up whenever.
Matt Kenseth -winner
Kasey Kahne .... Read the rest of this blog